Study in the U.S.A.

   Location:Home / Study in the U.S.A. / Study in the U.S.A.

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions.

F-1 students may engage in off-campus employment after they have studied in the U.S. for one academic year. They must first apply for approval, then find a job, and may only begin to work after they have authorization.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) – Once a student has obtained the required authorization to work in the U.S., the maximum time limit is one year.

For F-1 students any off-campus employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The above is only a general summary of requirements for foreign students to work in the U.S. Students are responsible for checking and understanding the most updated U.S. rules and regulations for working in the U.S.

For more information, please visit: